In the 1890s, a steam-powered sternwheeler named Bertha Taylor would cruise up and down the Chemung River ferrying passengers from a small dock at the foot of Columbia Street in Elmira to Rorick’s Glen and Hoffman Island. On July 4, 1891, the boat made the trip every two hours starting at 9 o’clock in the morning. The cost of the roundtrip fare was just 20 cents.
|The steamer Bertha Taylor on the Chemung River|
|Bertha Taylor just below Mount Zoar’s Mosquito Glen|
|Bertha Taylor towing a line of flat-bottomed boats|