In 1876, the Town of Veteran had a population of around 2,300 and it had 15 schools. 15!? To modern eyes, that may seem like a lot, but the majority were small, one-room schoolhouses. This was typical of most rural towns in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Nearly all of the students would have to walk to school, so the schoolhouses needed to be close to where they lived. Of the 867 school-age children who lived in Veteran in 1876, 717 were enrolled pupils. There were 12 male teachers and 21 female teachers and a library of 445 volumes shared across the schools.
Students at Veteran School No. 7 in Sullivanville
with teacher Eugene Bush, c. 1880s
Veteran School No. 14, Parrott Road, Sullivanville, January 11, 1932
Teacher Irma Miller with students Mark Cronkrite (11),
Judd Parrott (9), Margaret Vondracek (10), unidentified dog,
Robert Hovencamp (11), and Frank Vondracek
|Veteran School No. 12, Pine Valley|
Veteran School No. 8, octagon schoolhouse in Millport, late 1800s
The school was torn down in 1930 and replaced with a red brick schoolhouse.
Interior of Veteran School No. 13, Miller-Skinner School,
located at Veteran Hill and Sutter Road, 1940s
Most of the schools had students from grades 1 through 8 all in the same room. The teacher would work with one grade at a time but everyone could hear the lessons. Because of that, younger students often learned what their older counterparts were being taught. It was not unusual for students in these one-room schoolhouses to pass tests to skip into higher grades. After 8th grade, students would go to high school in Horseheads.
|Veteran School No. 5 on Middle Road, c. 1920s|
|Veteran School No. 10 yearbook cover and page of student photos, 1936|
|Pages from Veteran School No. 10 yearbook from 1935|