Monday, September 9, 2024

New Project with the Smithsonian

 by Susan Zehnder, Education Director

There is no life that is not geographic.

-Ruth Wilson Gilmore

I heard this statement back in July at a workshop for the first group of educators involved in a new Smithsonian program. Another way to put it is who we are is shaped by where we come from, and that is what participating students in Chemung County will be exploring this fall in the Smithsonian’s Democracy in Dialogue, Virtual Exchange program. They will connect with other students from across the nation to talk about how our local history shapes us.

The Smithsonian designed the program to be part of the national celebrations around the 250th founding of our country, coming up in 2026. They intend for educators to foster conversations and connections among young people, 13 to 18 years old, from different parts of the nation, to build a deeper understanding of what makes us the same and what makes us different. The first group of facilitators in the program consists of 20 educators, all classroom teachers except myself as education director of the museum, and a librarian in Idaho. Eventually there will be 80 facilitators across the nation.

Students here in Chemung County have been paired with students from a school in Laramie, Wyoming over 1,700 miles away. 

The student conversations will take place virtually. Over the fall semester, they’ll also be sending things to each other through the mail as they get to know each other. My co-facilitator in Laramie and I have chosen the theme of The Ordinary Becomes Extraordinary as a way for students to think about local history they want to share.  We’re having them start by introducing themselves through a chosen object, one that means something to them, and then sharing with the group.

To introduce myself, 

I’ve chosen a treasured button box that I inherited from my grandmother. It is a 6-inch -tall, highly decorated metal box with a thin metal handle and attached lid. Long ago, in the 1920s, it held cookies and part of the Lorna Doone shortbread label is still visible. 


When shaken, it makes a rattling sound because, as long as I’ve known it, it’s held buttons. So many buttons, that the box is full. The buttons are extras or cast offs from clothes my mother and grandmother made, or ones that I purchased while making my own kids’ clothes or Halloween costumes. The buttons remind me of my mother and grandmother. They remind me of clothes that were made for me, or clothing I’ve sewn.  They remind me of people I love and the joy of creating something special for someone who loved me.

My artifact tells a story of women creating. Our students will be exploring artifacts in our collection, and  will have virtual access to collections in the Smithsonian. They’ll be selecting an ordinary object, like my cookie tin, or a person, place, thing, or an event that has had an impact on others. They'll share that story by creating a 3-to-5-minute movie that the Smithsonian has the option to post on their site, and that we will post on our social media.

As an example, consider the story of John W. Jones, a compassionate and hard-working man who overcame many hardships in his life, and what he did as a conductor on the Underground Railroad, stewarding people to freedom, and what he did as he carefully buried the soldiers that died at the Civil War Prison Camp, helped shape Elmira’s identity. He wasn’t from Elmira, but is buried here and his story is woven through Elmira’s history.

We are excited to see how local history and geography inform what the students choose to share with each other and what they create to add to the American story. Already, some of the students were interviewed on local television. 

At the project's conclusion, we will be sharing their work on our social media. The Smithsonian has the option of sharing their work too!

The project has begun, but there is still room in the program for interested students. Please help spread the word about this amazing opportunity taking place this fall. Students can expect to spend about an hour a week and must be between 13 and 18 years old. 

Questions? Please reach out to me at the museum during business hours #607-734-4167 or write me at Educator@ChemungValleyMuseum.org 

 

Students being interviewed by WetmTV 18 reporter Nicolas Dubina

 


1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting. Looking forward to see what the students share with each other.

    ReplyDelete